Tuesday 5 January 2010

Slowing down in 2010

Image from i-D issue 303
T.Shirt by Stella McCartney

After a spate of inactivity on this blog I’d like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I have to admit I am off to a bit of a slow start as we enter the new decade. In fact, slowing down is my fashion motivation for 2010. Slow fashion is the way forward. The zeitgeist. On trend. If you haven’t already started taking things at a slower pace, can I suggest you choose fashionably slowing down as your resolution for the new decade.

Don’t get me wrong. I love clothes. I love fashion. However, consumers have been living in a fast fashion frenzy for far too long. Lured by brands selling cheaply made, low quality cat-walk replicas to be cast aside after a couple of months to make way for the latest as-worn-by styles. Quantity has become more important than quality. Individuality is losing out all together.

I agree with Gill Linton’s ‘Stop Buying New Crap’ manifesto in her Fashion for Losers article. The manifesto states: “Buy timeless: one of a kind quality vintage…the well made, timeless or on-trend pieces that are easy to mix with contemporary looks and don’t cost vintage couture or contemporary Balmain prices…” What’s more, you'll be creating your own personal style.

Vivienne Westwood wants to see the end of "indiscriminate consumption" saying "If you have to choose something, save up and choose well."

OK rant over. Here’s to a slower paced fashion decade filled with individuality.