Monday 14 September 2009

Where The Heart Is


Vintagehart

Rewind to Friday 11th. I found myself in Crystal Palace, south east London with a thumping cocktail induced head-ache, buried within four floors of antiques, treasure and, some might say, junk. Quite a contrast to the previous evening. Oh! But so much more interesting.

It was Crystal Palace Antiques - a ramshackle emporium selling furniture, mirrors, lighting, art, anything really - that lured me to this corner of London. I was here to find a mirror. I am in desperate need of a full length mirror. I know! Can you believe I don't have one? How on earth do I cope? Well I don't. It's a nightmare having to style my outfits each day without being able to see the complete head-to-toe effect. Like I said, I'm in desperate need of a full length mirror. After a good old rummage I left mirror-less but not disheartened. New stock arrives daily so I can always go back.

As I was in Crystal Palace, I decided to check out the 'Vintage Triangle'. A triangle of streets dotted with vintage clothes and interiors shops. It was The White Hart pub that caught my eye. Alcohol was the last thing I wanted to be near so why was I venturing into a pub you might well ask. Vintagehart is the reason.

Vintagehart is a tiny boutique located in the windows along one side of The White Hart pub. Owners Annette and Dawn have styled the shop to create a quirky space with a relaxed feel. The clothes and accessories range from 1950's to the current trend for 1980's. Everything is in excellent condition and the prices are very reasonable. I couldn't resist a 1980's dolman sleeved crepe-de-chine dress for £30 - the silhouette reminds me of Dries van Noten's AW09 collection - it needs a few minor styling adjustments but will look fabulous once finished. If only I had a full length mirror to see the results.


Dries Van Noten AW09