Tuesday 14 July 2009

Who Said Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend?

Have I mentioned that I’m a bit of a hoarder? I have boxes and bowls, cases and caskets over-spilling with jewellery. This collection has accumulated over years of rummaging in markets, charity shops and independent boutiques on my travels, as well as treasured items given to me by my grandmothers.

I don’t own any diamonds or precious stones. I have never been the kind of woman who wiles away an afternoon staring longingly into the window’s of luxury jewellers, a la Holly Golightly.I would much rather wear an individual, vintage or hand-crafted piece

Recently, I came across the work of Kirsten Muenster, a jeweller based in San Francisco who creates beautiful pieces inspired by nature using recycled, vintage and sustainable materials.

“I am drawn to the rich diversity of colours and patterns in the stones I use. I love exploring rock formations, fossils, tree rings, fractals and nature’s simplicity expressed in it’s irregular lines and shapes”

Kirsten’s work incorporates vintage buttons, recycled copper fire brick, fossilized coral, sustainable nuts, recycled sterling silver and ethically sourced stones. The agates and jaspers that Kirsten uses are either found along lakeshores and riverbeds or purchased from small family owned mines.


Necklace incorporating repurposed vintage chains, vintage metal button, druzy quartz, recycled copper firebrick, drycreek jasper and recycled sterling silver.
Image courtesy of Kirsten Muenster via flickr.com

Necklace incorporating fossilized dinosaur bone, vintage mother of pearl buckle, silver rutilated quartz and recycled sterling silver.
Image courtesy of Kirsten Muenster via flickr.com

Cast silver rings. Recycled sterling silver.
Image courtesy of Kirsten Muenster via flickr.com
Rings created with fossilized coral and recycled sterling silver.
Image courtesy of Kirsten Muenster via flickr.com

Ring created using recycled copper firebrick and recycled sterling silver.
Image courtesy of Kirsten Muenster via flickr.com


The website gives an insightful description of all of the materials that Kirsten uses. I found it fascinating. Kirsten’s work is ethical, beautiful and inspiring. Her design philosophy is an inspiration too:

“I believe it’s possible to have a beautifully designed piece of jewellery made with interesting materials whose cultivation does not fund corrupt organizations or promote unfair labour practices…I am always exploring more conscious and sustainable options for my jewellery materials”

I couldn't have put it better myself.