Sunday 12 July 2009

Clerkenwell Vintage



I did something quite out of character today. I spent a lovely warm Sunday indoors. My husband also did something very out of character. He spent an afternoon looking at vintage clothes. The reason for this? Clerkenwell Vintage Fashion Fair. Somehow I managed to persuade my husband that it would be a wonderful way to spend our day. And it was.

The fair was held at The Old Sessions House, which is a beautiful Georgian building on Clerkenwell Green. With it's impressive entrance hall and domed ceiling the scene was set for vintage enthusiasts to flick through rails of clothes, accessories and textiles, which included exquisite collector's pieces from the late 18th century up to so-right-for-the-moment styles from the 1980's.

Big-band sounds from the 1940's played in the background whilst suitably attired couples danced amongst those browsing through the rails. The atmosphere was relaxed with an emphasis upon making the day an enjoyable experience. My husband took a break to indulge in the amazing cakes on sale at the cafe. If I'd been able to prise myself away from the clothes I would popped into the Lipstick and Curls parlour for a 1950's hair and beauty make-over.

One of my favorite stands belonged to Debbie and Simon. That's Debbie above...I was so inspired by her outfit. A stunning scarf print blouse worn belted with pegged trousers, her cloche hat to completing the look. This outfit is vintage but not old-fashioned. And, incredibly stylish.

Debbie and Simon's collection included women's and men's clothing and accessories from various eras. Debbie explained to me that she keeps her prices affordable because she wants to sell the clothes. The point isn't to make vintage fashion inaccessible. Debbie said she is beginning to see young teenagers coming to the fairs, which I find so promising in this era of fast throw-away fashion.

If you want to see Debbie and Simon's vintage collection, they will showing at the Ashley Hall Fair, on 6th September.

Vintage Fashion Fairs are for anyone who has a love for clothes and accessories. The beauty of buying vintage is that you will own something unique. Your purchase will have a sense of history to it. A story to tell. So much more interesting than buying mass-produced fashion.